AutoCAD Plant 3D

I’m a mechanical designer for a chemical refinery.

I use the BLK360 with Lecia’s Cyclone software, register 360 and Cloudworx. AutoDesk Plant 3D has specific add-ons for Cloudworx and Register 360 to help bring pointclouds into model space and automatically tag pipe size from standard specifications libraries.

My workflow isn’t surveying topology, more like equipment, pipe racks, flange and valve locations. I have been looking into a drone to help facilitate elevation scans that i can’t reach from ground level with my BLK360.

My first question is anybody else using Plant 3d with Rock Cloud? I don’t think this software ties in with my workflow, I could be wrong.

Second Question, Can i just opt in for the hardware only? Drone, Base station, LiDAR, and extra batteries?

Third Question, can I still get a R1A? Where can i get a quote for this because the Quote button on the Rock Robotic link seems to have expired.

Fourth Question, is anyone using Ground LiDAR scanners (BLK3650, RTC360) with Drone scans?

My first question is anybody else using Plant 3d with Rock Cloud? I don’t think this software ties in with my workflow, I could be wrong.

When you say “this” software do you mean Plant 3D or the Rock Cloud? If Plant 3D outputs a .las then it’ll work with the Rock Cloud.

Second Question, Can i just opt in for the hardware only? Drone, Base station, LiDAR, and extra batteries?

Yes sales@rockrobotic.com for a quote

Third Question, can I still get a R1A? Where can i get a quote for this because the Quote button on the Rock Robotic link seems to have expired.

Yes, most of our interest is in the AVIA instead of the Mid40, but you certainly can get one.

Fourth Question, is anyone using Ground LiDAR scanners (BLK3650, RTC360) with Drone scans?

If it produces a .las file then you certainly can use it in the Rock Cloud. In fact the Rock Cloud is great at comparing and merging multiple datasets especially ones that are captured from different angles or devices.

Check out this merged dataset combining 2 aerial datasets. 1 from a facade scan and the other from a NADIR scan.

Also this one which is aerial and mobile data.

Plant 3D is an Autocad program that outputs .dwg files. I use Leica’s Cyclone collection. They have partnerships with Autodesk, they’ve created plugins for all Autodesk programs to manipulate point clouds in CAD programs. It’s not just an .LAS export to AutoCAD.

I was asking because the cloud software added an extra 10k to my quote and the sales guy didn’t understand what i was saying. He kept saying it’s compatible with autodesk and civil, i understand you can export to a .LAS file and work it in AutoDesk, Cyclone plugins are downloaded extension for Autodesk programs. They help create 3D models in autocad using pointclouds.

Thanks for answering my other questions.

You can convert your LAS file to an RCP (autodesk recap) file and then import the RCP into Plant3D.

Every AutoCAD program has a default point cloud import function. I think I understand the RockCloud better now compared with the software I use. Importing into CAD is not the issue I’m having, I was wondering if the Rock Cloud had specific AutoDesk plugins like Cyclone that automatically generates pipe routing from pointclouds.

That’s an interesting use case. That is not something that is currently on our roadmap. Not to say that it couldn’t be in the future, especially if there is more of a call for it from the community.

1 Like

This would be something I would find very useful in oil and gas. Thanks!