Travel on airlines with R1A

I am just finalizing a new case design for the R1A. From my experience. I travel a lot with my LiDAR unit and having a durable and secure case for carry-on or for checked luggage is really important. this pelican case is 16 x 6.87 x 13 inches is able to be carried on or checked. Most airlines have a limit of 22 x 14 x 9 inches

All good!

4 Likes

Great to know I can carry it with me without checking it. Can you share an image of how things are organized on the inside? Is there any extra storage?

Very cool, I use a pelican carry on size for all of my photo gear and it’s been rock solid. Pun intended.

1 Like

I’m working on a case for our unit that will hold the R2A, Reach Base, GNSS Antennae, and a laptop. We are fitting this into a Pelican 1507. The laptop we are using is a Dell XPS 15 9500; its size is perfect for this case setup. Once I get it completed I’ll post some photos.

1 Like

I am thinking of flying commercial as well with my equipment but I am worried about all the gear I would be taking. I am wondering if I can get through the airline system successfully with all of this gear?? I would have the following cases:

Large DJI M300 carry case
R2A sensor case
Emlid Base/Rover case
Battery Case (heavy and does this give TSA worries!)
Case with inverter, cords, miscellanous items
Two GPS rods
GPS rod Tripod
Personal bag

Appreciate any guidance or experience someone might share! I usually fly a Cessna with all of this stuff carefully placed, but this LiDAR work is taking me further from home!

I flew with all the mentioned above except the spare batteries which I shipped to my destination ahead of time, then shipped back before returning. Checked the M300 in its case with 2 batteries installed, rolling golf bag with gps rods, charger case, boots, etc and another large rolling duffel with other items. I carried on R2A and a backpack with laptop etc. It wasn’t easy getting around solo without a cart but I did it with some bungee cords. Would be much easier with an assistant ha. Biggest trick is the batteries as they are too high capacity to carry on and you can’t check. This is my biggest question is how to carry on or check the batteries!

Appreciate the quick response. Not being able to check in the battery case is an obstacle. A quick google search revealed these terms for American Airlines which I intended to use:

### Carry-on Baggage Policies

Small batteries:No restrictions (suggested amount: less than 20)

Medium batteries:No more than 2

Large batteries:Visit the airline’s site for details.

Attached batteries:No more than 2, plus 2 detached batteries for each device.

### Checked Baggage Policies

Detached batteries:Detached batteries cannot be checked in.

Attached batteries:Remove all batteries from your equipment and place them in your carry-on baggage or submit special request if the batteries are non-detachable.

I forgot to provide the link to DJI’s flying tips I saw:

Finally, then I see this when looking for the wattage of the M300 Battery from DJI.

These batteries cannot be carried onboard an airplane as they exceed the 160 Wh limit within the US.

1 Like

LUV to have a case that incorporates the facade mount, along w/the typical R2A item list.