New guy wanting to get into LiDAR

Hello, I’ve been lurking here a bit and occasionally reading the topics of the week.
I am in the instrumentation and monitoring industry in the US, mostly for heavy civil projects. Our services are used when the construction of one project may affect existing structures/facilities. We also get involved with reactionary projects such as landslides. I found Harrison’s channel over a year ago as I was studying for my Part 107 and am very interested in LiDAR, but I’m not sure it’s accurate enough for what we need. If I recall correctly, Harrison did a test of three different sensors on a runway and measured the accuracy of each. Even the most expensive $200k system was good to about ± 1/2 inch. Is that correct, or still true? If, for example, we have a project that involves tunneling under railroad tracks, we need to know if there is movement long before we hit 1/2 inch. We typically operate 1/2" (arc second) automated robotic total stations that can detect about 2mm of movement. I’m still researching to find out if drone based LiDAR is right for us. I’m curious if any of you are in the same business.
-Larry

1 Like

I’m from the heavy civil world…
Lidar will kick ass for your landslide events and monitoring most of your projects.
But what about the rail lines?
Lidar will not be sufficient for your measurements… keep your total station for that. I would encourage you to use lidar for corridor modelling and inspections… you will be surprised with all the other data you can harvest that will directly impact your work.
You will save time, money and begin to understand your data in ways you never dreamed.

1 Like