Forestry - Tree Surveys

Has anyone here successfully used their data/las file to extract tree data such as diameter at breast height. I see some opensource software and LiDAR360 showing how this is done. I am performing a job currently, and would like to use the LiDAR data for this rather than our traditional method. Would love to hear of an economical success story or for Rock Robotic to announce a new forestry processing option! LOL. I know they can do it when they decide to make it happen!

3 Likes

@southernsurvey

I know they can do it when they decide to make it happen!

… you aren’t wrong…

Can you explain exactly what you are wanting? A report of all the recognizable trees and group them by dbh?

1 Like

Yes this would be awesome! Extract trees above 4" dbh or greater to point file. Lidar360 and terrascan can do this but would be a nice included feature. Maybe eventually extract individual trees for forestry inventories

I haven’t run any existing data yet, but I’m told Trimble business center (TBC) version 5 and newer has the option to extract tree caliper, canopy, etc.

We are looking for exactly the same thing here. Lots of clients that want to be able to classify / extract trees based on DBH and even species.

Any update on this thread? Anyone try trimble business center for the task? How does the R2A data hold up?

Would love to see this incorporated into ROCK cloud. We have a large need for forest measurements from remote sensing which is why we got into a lidar sensor for our drone operations (L1). While much accurate measurements requires terrestrial/mobile scanning date in conjunction with airborne, it seems that individual tree segmentation, counts, and canopy height mapping can be derived from airborne lidar. I saw a discussion /presentation from Harrison not too long ago and it did not seem that forestry measurements would be something coming to ROCK Cloud soon. I hope that changes as I am in the process of evaluating some other platforms that can drive this data without the process of migrating data from platform to platform. The main thing I would like to get at this point is canopy height (based on height above ground), canopy cover, and individual tree counts.

1 Like

Would also be interested in this!

3 Likes

Alex,
I was looking at your Kahuto Pacific Project. There you have mapped a forest. In such a mapping I need details of individual trees, details like their positional data, their height data, their density data.

Also, while using your hardware, and software can I also get the data about the amount of organic material on the forest bed.

Ashish

Hey thanks for chatting in on this. We do not have all these features available though some of these can be done with ROCK Cloud measurement tools ( tree height for example). If we add anything to the ROCK Cloud to this effect we’ll be sure to update this thread