Flying with M300 + batteries

Hi all,

I know a lot of you have DJI M300s. Has anyone found a way to successfully (legally) fly with the batteries for the M300? As you may be aware the batteries are above the capacity limit for carry-on spare LiPos. I’ve checked my M300 with one set of batteries installed in the drone no problem and shipped the spares to my destination, but this is a real pain for planning. If you can check firearms and ammo there must be some way around this, right?

My understanding of shipping batteries on commercial passenger planes, is that you cannot ship lithium metal batteries (stand-alone) at all. But you can ship lithium ion batteries (stand-alone), if you meet the “dangerous goods” packaging requirements. Some of which are type of package, the batteries cannot be damaged and must ship with less than a 30% charge, package labeling, etc.

Most airlines have a cargo or baggage service office that you can go to drop off the batteries and they will require “dangerous goods” paperwork. They can also be scheduled on the same flight that you’ll be on. You can find the check list of restrictions and packaging on the IATA website.

We are still ground shipping the M300 batteries everywhere. Not ideal, but it works.

Do you have a preferred carrier you use?

Both FedEx and UPS seem to work fine. I used UPS last time and it got there and back safely.

What was the ballpark price assuming you sent 6 - 8 batteries? Of course, I know this can vary on number of batteries and locations, but still nice to know.

if you’re going to send them, you’re just sending the whole case but it maybe 200-300 bucks to go halfway across the country, including insurance. The insurance is a significant portion of that number.

I usually ship 3 sets in one of these cases: https://www.dslrpros.com/goprofessional-cases-dji-matrice-300-6-battery-case.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAzKqdBhAnEiwAePEjkr47E-jmDSxZ6G8GvnKABNldRFDvWa1m9LAN4by4HlFlL4rGxZ7LphoCyyIQAvD_BwE

Costs about $75 each way without insurance, about double that or more with.

I keep the 4th set installed in the m300 and check it on the plane. I also check the charging case in a larger bag with other equipment. It’s a lot of gear to fly with but doable one person.

Really appreciate the info! Is it okay with the airlines to check the batteries installed in the M300?

As long as they are installed I understand it is ok. I don’t have a reference handy but I have not had an issue.

Really good to know and if for some reason if the batteries don’t make it, I can possibly get by having a few! Thanks!