Expert Tips for Optimizing Rock Robotic Lidar in Large-Scale Mapping

Hey everyone :wave:,

I’m reaching out today in the hopes of tapping into your collective brilliance! I’m leading a massive mapping project that hinges on Rock Robotic Lidar, and I’m eager to ensure we’re getting the most out of this incredible technology :technologist:.

Our goal? To craft meticulously detailed and accurate maps of a sprawling area with wildly diverse terrain and vegetation. Think mountains meeting rainforests – the whole gamut!

Here’s where we’re encountering some challenges, and where your expertise would be a lifesaver:

Conquering Data Collection: How can we optimize Lidar data collection across these varying environmental conditions? We’re especially curious about techniques that can boost data accuracy in areas with thick vegetation or tricky terrain.

Taming the Data Beast: Managing and processing massive amounts of Lidar data feels like wrangling a digital dragon. Any recommendations for efficient methods or software that can streamline this process would be a godsend. Bonus points for tips on data storage management and ensuring data integrity – gotta keep that precious information squeaky clean!

Accuracy on Lock: We’re laser-focused (pun intended!) on maximizing the accuracy and precision of our final maps. What steps can we take to achieve this? Are there specific calibration procedures or quality control measures we absolutely shouldn’t skip? :thinking:

The Power of Collaboration: Our maps will be a beautiful blend of Lidar data and other geospatial sources like satellite imagery and ground surveys. What are the best practices for merging these datasets seamlessly to create the most detailed and high-quality maps possible?

Real-World Inspiration: Have any of you tackled similar large-scale mapping projects with Rock Robotic Lidar? Sharing your insights, experiences, or even case studies would be an absolute game-changer. Learning from your successes (and maybe even your not-so-successes) would be invaluable.

I also read this resources/blog :arrow_right: LiDAR and Drones: A New Era in Topographical Mapping & Surveying – Advexure AI In Cybersecurity As a newcomer to the world of Rock Robotic Lidar, I’m brimming with enthusiasm and eager to learn from this fantastic community. Your guidance and recommendations will play a vital role in the success of our project.

A massive thank :smiling_face: you in advance for your support!

First. Bound out the overall project in Google Earth. Expand the extents to ensure what is required to be captured is not on the very edge.
Break up the overall area into individual missions based on access to the area and line of site. Ensure your flight areas have plenty of overlap so you can easily merge all the files for final creation.
Large projects = Lots of ground control. More is always better. Check points aid in validation.
In the field have a laptop and external drive to offload each flight. Make folders by name of flight.
Should have put this first. Set your base station somewhat central in the area you are flying before doing anything and ensure you are recording and that it is the last thing you retrieve each day.
Starlink Mini is now an option if you need connectivity.
Process each flight individually and add and align GCPs. Align and merge all flights and submit for processing.