Cold, Colder, Coldest

Well… who here is still flying?
If you are up north, the days are short and the weather is more sketchy than our governments.

What’s the coldest temperature you’ve had your R2A working?

• Currently, my record is -5°c (23°f) with a steady 15kt wind.

What’s the hottest temperature you’ve had your R2A working

• This year, we completed a few missions in the 30°c (86°f)

Any other fun logistics we can share?

Have fun and stay creative!

Cheers

@FlyingRadioWaves we have been getting quite a few questions about cold weather flying lately. Check out this article for some useful information: Cold Weather and Snowy Operations With LiDAR

We flew the R2A on a glacier in Alaska at the end of last year. Data looked great! The biggest limitation was keeping the drone batteries warm enough so they can charge / discharge within reason.

1 Like

One of the greatest elements I really enjoy with this trade-craft is the challenge of logistics! The diversity in operations that allow missions to be conducted and flown from the coldest temperatures to the warmest and all the wild weather in the middle!
Not to mention… there is the occasional “exotic” mission or those that are totally unique and sometimes the objects where we are, once scanned, make the most fascinating models!

lol… we are… ND/MN…
Those low sun angles and long shadows are pretty sketchy. Glad its an ‘active’ sensor :wink:

What’s the coldest temperature you’ve had your R2A working?

Currently, our record is +4°f with a gusty 15-25 mph wind.

What’s the hottest temperature you’ve had your R2A working?

In Montana's August heat, we completed a site just less than 4 square miles ~90-98°f. took a whole week of flying and we only overheated the sensor once.

I’ve flown mine in the middle of summer in Georgia. Close to 100°F with no issues. I did have a tent to keep the remote under and my field table and I keep my SUV running to keep equipment at cool temperature. It’s not ever very cold down here. It’s 70 today