Clipping Data and Manipulation

As I play with my models in the Rock Cloud, I discovered a tool called “clipping”. It works almost identical to the Bentley Microstation tool of the same name/function.

So I clip out only the area I am interested in. Let’s say that is 9 acres inside an 18 acre lot. Only the clipped 9 acres is visible. Here is my question:

• If I “save” only the clipped area, does the rest of the point cloud simple vanish?
  • If I decide to manipulate only the clipped area (the 9 acres in this example), it makes visualizing on my computer easier… so if I adjust the x,y,z of the clipped area, does the invisible portion of the point cloud also adjust?
  • Its a frugal time and I don’t want to process the whole 18 acres (2 tokens), only the 9 acres I want. After I clip it, will it only apply the deliverable to the 9 acres?

There are so many fun things to do with this data!

@FlyingRadioWaves All great questions!

Answers:

• If I “save” only the clipped area, does the rest of the point cloud simple vanish?
    No. It is still there. It’s more of a ‘hide’

• If I decide to manipulate only the clipped area (the 9 acres in this example), it makes visualizing on my computer easier… so if I adjust the x,y,z of the clipped area, does the invisible portion of the point cloud also adjust?
    Yes.

• Its a frugal time and I don’t want to process the whole 18 acres (2 tokens), only the 9 acres I want. After I clip it, will it only apply the deliverable to the 9 acres?
    No. For ROCK Surveyor we currently take the entire dataset.
    However, for ROCK Planimetrics, you can use the area tool to select your 'Processable Area" and only the area selected will get Planimetrics.