Base Station Question

Hey everyone,

We’re just joining the Rock group here and while we have a fair amount of experience with lidar scanning we have mostly used systems in the past that didn’t require data logging from our local base station. My understanding is if trying to obtain an OPUS solution for an unknown point we need to log data for 2+ hours. Do we still need a 2 hour log if I am setting up on a known control point or what time is a good rule of thumb there? Most of our flights will occur over a know control point network.

Also is anyone using an M200 still and what flight software are you using? We’re leaning towards UCGS but I haven’t seen if it plays well with our current airframe.

Thanks!

Hey! So first off, if your not going to use the base station to compute an opus solution then the only requirement is that the base station is logging before the r2a then the base station is running after the r2a.

You can set up over the known point, then start logging. Immediately fly with the r2a. Land, shut down the r2a. Pack up then stop logging on the emlid. As king as the base station was logging before and after, then you are good.

Now, I still let it log for a few minutes before I turn on the r2a then let it run a few minutes after, but that’s just old habits from previous generation LiDAR systems. But I still feel more comfortable :smile:

Mission planning software for M200. I still like map pilot pro

Much cheaper than UgCS and good enough

1 Like

So i dont have to log 2 hours and 45 minutes for every flight?

It just needs to be on and logging before the R2A takes off and leave it running for just a few minutes after.

Example I have a flight that takes 15 minutes and I log 30 minutes on the RS2 that is sufficent data?

Yes.
From a KNOWN point.

First step is to create and record your base points. Once the gps is logging, set up and go fly.
Last step is to put all your RPAS gear away and THEN terminate your recording.

So a Known Point that we have traversed through and have coordinates on set my RS2 up on that and record the data. Do I key in the lat and long from our coordinates when it ask for the base position input then?

And do I still put the .22O file in the data folder?

Yes.

You and I go out to survey some land. We know our base point coordinates because we have established this already through survey.
When you are at the office, you will enter the lat/long of the KNOWN point, that we calc’d, NOT the point the gnss spits out. This is how the delta is established and how it knows what the error is.

Yes, keep all your files like normal. The software will sort this shit out.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but you don’t NEED to have your base on a known point. If you need your point cloud in the correct location, then you’ll need to set up targets/GCPs and shift your point cloud to match them. It’s very helpful if your base is on a known coordinate that’s in the same system as your GCP coordinates, but it’s not absolutely necessary.

We’ve used static data from third parties before for PPK, and then shifted our point cloud to our targets/check shots and had great results.