Alliance Surveying/NEW R2A delivered

worth the investment to travel to CO and spend a day w/Matt who provided full demo of 100 acre site, processing, deliverables, etc. after 3 months of deep-dive research, we chose Rockrobotic’s R2A and can’t be more excited.
couple more test flights and tweaking elevation/overlap (for our super dense vegetation/trees land tracts, and we’ll hit the ground running for LiDAR topos!!!
THANKS to Harrison (surprise jump-in on a conference call), David Song for guiding us thru the RR world and final step of Matt’s hands-on demo.

4 Likes

Thanks for the praise! It means a lot to know that we are making your jobs easier. Make sure you setup you ROCK Stars account so that we can check out some of your scans!

1 Like

Would like to know how things are going for you. We are a Engineering/surveying firm and have been using the Rock 2A for a little over a month. We have done several sites, from light vegetation to large 300 acre sites with light and heavy vegetation. The cloud data looks good but we are having trouble getting usable data into Civil3D. The ground classification deliverable tends to incorporate more low vegetation than expected. With the surface picking up random tops of bushes makes getting a usable surface difficult. I would like to see commands where we could extract actual points (*.txt) P,N,E,Z that we place in the cloud. It would also be helpful to create 3d line for export as well.

Agree, have been nothing but pleased with the support for the guys at rock. I made the same suggestion about a ground classification las file that we could work with in civil and tweak as needed. I was looking at some of the contours and they didnt flow as well as we would have liked. Again we are still learning and started out with a DJI L1 so we have more fuzz then maybe others.

@Tim any thoughts on this?

@mike-DRG it sounds like you want to be able to add break lines in the cloud and have those incorporate into the dem / contours? Is that right?

1 Like

last 2 sites were heavy vegetation, so we slowed speed down to 3.5m/s, overlap to 50%, 50-55m height AND double grid. getting enough ground points for topo… using UgCS and using terrain follow, so that helps, too.

1 Like

Mike, I have had my system for a couple months now, but I am still not exactly getting the product I need. (which is a TIN surface in Civil 3d) I have been just ordering breaklines and .5’ contours from ROCK, and then creating TIN based on the linework I receive back. But that isn’t very precise. How have you been getting from Rock cloud to C3D?

We have yet to achieve the accuracy needed for civil design. We are still doing topo’s with conventional methods. When we compare the Rock Surface to our ground surface we see too much error that could effect ultimate dirt volume results. This is a bigger factor when you work in an area of relatively flat terrain. We have been using the DEM file and the Surveyors grid to create a surface in Civil 3D. We have only been using for initial planning purposes to speed up the design process. Rock is now providing a surveyors TIN file, going to give it a go today and compare to conventional.

1 Like

what settings are you using for the flight?

We are flying at 150 ft, 8 mph w/ 35% overlap. One thing we are not doing is the double grid. How does the rock software handle a double grid? I’ll change my flight software and give this a try.

We fly double grid 100% of the time. ZERO issues

Define zero issues as it relates to conventional ground survey. I can easily create a surface and a product, but accuracy is where we are struggling when we check against conventional survey methods. Random one two foot elevation bust are common. We also don’t have much “terrain” to follow here. We are extremely flat and not much elevation changes. Maybe 10’ across an entire site.

Zero. We fly heavy tree dense land tracts w/tree canopies from 89-139ft high.

We use 45% side overlap, 5.5m/s speed and 55m AGL and dual grid using UgCS and lots of elevation changes.

Can you send me some examples of when you’re seeing variances like that? daniel.windham@rockrobotoic.com if you could send me the link or project number and the point numbers. Want to help out!

We will get some projects together on this and send it to you

1 Like