A Little Help Here (Flight LiDAR data processing)

Forgive me for being a Newbie here, but I just dropped a ton of money (to me) to purchase the M350, SLAM, R3 Pro, and 3 Rock Base units. Unfortunately, I wasn’t even aware that Rock Robotics sold the Reach RS3, and that I even needed one (GPS base) so I didn’t purchase one.

I’ve figured out the SLAM data processing side, I just can’t figure out the drone side of things. I was under the assumption that the Base unit can function as a static site base receiver, but I already know that was a bad assumption.

That said, I don’t personally have a GPS Base/Rover unit, however I have access to 2 surveyors who have some. One has a StoneX900 and the other is a Carlson BRX7 GPS unit. I know that the Rock Desktop wants the RINEX data, but both GPS units I have access to don’t create RINEX files. They produce files like .crd (coordinate file), .JAT, .NOT, .REF, & .RW5 (TDS Raw Data file). These files are from a Carlson BRX7 GPS unit.

I’ve been told, and Harrison says in his video(s) to use the RINEX file when you dump your files to the Desktop software. Would that be the same as my .RW5 file, the raw data file? Or do I need to convert them to the RINEX format?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

For some reason I thought you could get PPK data from the rock base, if that is not the case I highly recommended giving Joe and Patrick at E38 survey solutions a call and getting a RS2+ or RS3 on the way.

I know its another chunk of change more than you would have wanted to spend but will make your life a lot easier. Emlid has a lot of really great features such as emlid caster which is free and can simultaneously transmit RTK over NTRIP and log PPK (RINEX) from one unit, and utilize your rover in a myriad of configurations for check shots and GCPs.

How to setup RTK on M350 - 4 Different Scenarios

Having two RS3s has provided an immense amount of flexibility to my work flow and all the Emlid software and resources are free unless you WANTED to upgrade to the survey license. Just be sure to talk to someone that has been able to make the SIM card work before going that route, still no luck on my end with that.

Sorry this isn’t the answer you were looking for but its probably the answer you needed.

Have a great day,

Thank you. I’ll look into this.

Hi @DroneMaster You can absolutely use the ROCK Base as a static base receiver or as your base station, as long as your are within a reasonable range. You can download the RINEX data directly from your ROCK bases in the ROCK Network map and set the timeframe as well. This Knowledge Base article walks through the process: ROCK Network. You can also subscribe to the entire ROCK Network for $40 a month and you’ll have access to all ROCK Bases in the network.

I actually just discovered that you can only get the RINEX files from ROCK bases that you install yourself. You can hook up to other bases in the network but can’t get their raw obs. Most state DOT’s have base stations with RINEX available. Even in Texas, where the CORS network is private, the RINEX files are available to download for free. I’ve learned to be sure to have the RS3 logging no matter what, so that I can use the .obs from that to verify data capture in the field. The TXDOT RINEX files take too long to receive to wait for it in the field. So, I use that when I’m back to the office and doing my full processing. Hope that helps.

Hi @Drew-TopFlight You are able to download RINEX data from all ROCK Bases in the ROCK Network if you purchase the ROCK Network subscription for $40 a month. If you only purchase a ROCK Base and not the full network subscription you’ll only be able to download from your purchased bases.

That’s interesting because it was advertised that I would have a network subscription by installing the base. I didn’t know there were different levels to that.