400 Acre site guidelines

Hmm, must be updated… but no, not necessary unless you are flying really close in… or have really tight vertical tolerance on your capture… ie flying at 299ft in a 300ft cap… :wink:

Come to think of it, one of my other pilots said that came up for him as well. but it collected/flew just fine without. RTK would just give the nav computer more accurate positioning… has no impact on the R2A or any other independent sensor.

If I’m not mistaken the AGL of the M300 is based mostly on air density. Therefore if it doesn’t have the RTK it doesn’t have a tight reference to the ground. You will notice this in your PCMaster trajectory, when you do a battery swap. When it continues a flight line it is often at a different AGL than it was at prior to the battery change. It’s usually close, but often off vertically. I have personally noticed no ill effects from this with pre-processing and it’s usually so close vertically that you won’t even notice.

Note: Technically you can use the Reach RS2 as an RTK Base for the M300 if you have an active SIM card installed and it set up correctly. Kind of a bargain at 1/2 the price of a D-RTK Base.

Thanks for the info. After four days I finally have the DEM/ terrain follow set up in the remote as well as a mission all set up in ugcs. Final verdict…I like that I don’t need any additional stuff using the SRC. Is there any real benefit to using the ugcs, with laptop, wifi etc. or will I be ok with the DEM on the SRC and the normal rock robotic workflow.

Cool! do you know of a setup/config process for that? (ReachRS2 as RTK)

Positives:
Real time editing of your missions
Telemetry data
LiDAR specific flight parameters (smooth elevation changes and turns)
Easy import of DEMs
Automatic Figure 8 Patterns and hands free operation of missions

Negatives:
Laptop + WiFi Hotspot + RC and power sources for all of them is A LOT! It is definitely a package suited for a vehicle command center vs walking
Connectivity can be hit or miss sometimes
Engineer Built, very EXTRA for most uses with a steepish learning curve
You can’t edit your mission on anything BUT a laptop

Personally I’d love to see UgCS with the ability to have an iPad running the client and broadcasting the hotspot. That would make things much much easier and the whole thing a lot more convenient. I dunno if that’ll ever happen though. I’ve asked them about it before with not much in the way of a positive response.

@Harrison is the only one I know that’s done it. I haven’t had time to test it yet myself. It seemed to work pretty well for him though.

1 Like

Harrison is the only one to use the SRC with terrain follow and DEM workflow?

No. He used the Emlid Reach RS2 as an RTK base station for an M300

your BEST/EASIEST remedy for this is to use UgCS mission planning software.

1. it has terrain follow built in…and tested,
  2. it has specific LiDAR mission features you’ll WANT to use, and
  3. all that unnecessary flight paths u get in DJI Pilot app, is a moot point in UgCS; it flies exactly where you tell it to and u can adjust how far outside the kml file you want (typical is 25%). no need to ‘shave’ off anything…if you set it up correctly…which is eeezy peezy.

My $0.02…