DJI L1 > DJI Terra > ROCK Cloud workflow

Hi everyone,

I will quickly start off by saying I am completely new to LIDAR processing. Currently, my company has a DJI M300 + Zenmuse L1 which we plan on using for our LIDAR projects. Since we have an L1, we are forced to use DJI Terra. Currently we are able to do so and get a nice .LAS file from the program.

Anyways, we are looking to use ROCK Cloud to handle all of our LIDAR projects. But today when we tried importing our first project, we are running into some issues. Here’s the issue we have noticed:

• Prior to processing the raw data through Terra, we have a few options to select. By default, Terra selects WGS 84 as the “Known Coordinate System”. When we process like this, the data will not properly import into the ROCK cloud (it only shows a single point cloud line). However, we have found if we select “Arbitrary Coordinate System”, we can then import into the ROCK cloud. Can anyone explain further what this means for us and if we are doing this correctly. NOTE: Currently we have only tried the default WGS 84 and we know this will not import correctly into the ROCK Cloud. Any help is appreciated.

• The only other issue we see currently is when we have an project open in the ROCK cloud, I do not think it is classifying items (like trees, ground, etc.). Is there a special process to creating classification? Our goal is to be able to remove vegetation for demonstrative purposes.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Cody, welcome to the Rock Community!
Whenever I’ve outputted .las files from DJI Terra I use WGS84 and the correct UTM Zone. I haven’t seen the issue that you are speaking to when doing this. Are you sure that you are using the correct UTM Zone?

In regards to ground being classified. That is a deliverable that you can purchase in the Rock Cloud. 1 token per 10 acres. If you want to do more than that please look at the marketplace for the other automated modules that the ROCK Cloud offers.

Thank you. This cleared up the issue with CRS.

The next question is reproduction and GCP’s. Specifically, we have used EPSG code 3452 for other sites in our area. Question is, how do we know we are reprojecting with the correct EPSG code? Again, apologies for the rookie questions. Still very new to LIDAR.

Thanks

Your surveyor will tell you what projection that they captured GPCs in and that is the same as what you will use for your re-projection.

Don’t apologize, projections are very confusing and it is the hardest part for everyone. We are working internally at ROCK to simplify it as much as possible and create some resources that will answer the big picture projection questions for everyone! Stay tuned…

Hi,

Wondering if you can help.

I have processed some L1 data through Terra and now trying to compress to .laz through .laszip

Each time i do and upload to RockCloud it tells me the .laz is corrupt?

Sounds like you aren’t letting it complete 100%

Have a look at the Rock Academy when in doubt.

This article and videos should help.